Thursday 6 February 2014

Another delay!

So another fortnight or so in and surprisingly I'm not really feeling too much worse.....it's 1.50am on Friday 7th and I'm up because I've been in bed for about sixteen hours a day since Tuesday's second chemo session; good grief it knocks you out! Twentieth RT session in about eleven hours followed by my "team" meeting.....but the RT side effects (I keep wanting to write SFX but that's "sound effects") are still really manageable. Many people on strong pain killers by now, hear of people on morphine in the third week but I'm going to hit the fifth just still on paracetamol and ibubrofin.....what a hard bastard I must be! Either that or lucky.....probably lucky....actually definitely lucky.

Anyway, eating is the issue now, keeping my weight up. The nasty taste buds have gone from not liking savoury to not liking sweet to not tolerating anything other than water or (strangely but gratifyingly) coffee; Marmite off the menu sadly. Mouth just tastes permanently nasty now rather than just when trying to eat something; and even keeping down high cal supplements from the dietician was impossible after the chemo so I was sick on Wednesday night....first time. I'm supposed to be getting down seven supplements a day in addition to trying to force down solids (impossible at the mo but could get a bit better once the chemo effects ease) and managed one yesterday.....and that one was using the feeding tube, for the first time, because by mouth wasn't an option.

Got to say now in the wee small hours I feel a bit better so have to start a more concerted effort on my weight, dropping fast, in the morning or I'm going to get myself admitted as an in patient for the last week or two and that's the last thing I want. Still driving myself to hospital every day (against all family advice but none medical as yet) and beginning to wonder what happens next when February and all of this. treatment wise, is done.

Lots of shit and "rehab" still to cover and lots of checks to see if I'm clear but will I be well enough for a week end in Amsterdam/to buy my motor bike/week or two or three in Zakynthos/Everton v City (night in Elham would be good also but I'd need my taste buds for that!)?

Christ is it that time already? Means I've only had about twenty hours sleep in the last twenty four.....mustn't overdo it. Deb gently snoring downstairs (in her makeshift bedroom) should sooth me off.....difficult times for her when I'm a useless sod post chemo, sure I'll pick up again in a day or two. Night all.

No comments:

Post a Comment